Thursday, February 19, 2009

Revenge of SpiderBytes

It happened. Less than 12 hours after my post about Outlook being amazing and moving SpiderBytes to my Junk Mail folder, it was BACK IN MY INBOX. Its a good thing I was in class when I saw, and thus forced to subdue the fury. How could this have happened so soon? Did I jump the gun by posting about it? Did I jinx myself? As a firm believer in the butterfly effect, I tend not to play the what-if game. But know this, SpiderBytes! I will loathe you for each and every morning I find you in my Inbox.

Nathan Lane did a musical tribute to Conan last night. It was pretty amazing. And so I have a new addition to my bucket list - Be the inspiration for a musical tribute. If I ever get to a point in my life where someone will write lyrics to a popular or once-popular song about me, I will know i have made it. Unfortunately, my chosen profession might not be ideal to that goal, but you never know.

If people don't talk to you, wearing a suit is a surefire way to solve that problem. People are so intrigued by suits that they must now what kind of competition/interview you are involved in. The problem with conversation like this is that it almost certainly leads to an awkward situation.

Scenario 1
"Why are you dressed up?"
"Negotiation competition."
"Oh cool, hows that going?"
"Good, I guess."
....Result: Awkward silence

Scenario 2:
"Why are you dressed up?"
"Interview"
"Oh cool. who with?"
"A firm"
"Cool..."
....Result: Awkward silence

Scenario 3:
"Why are you dressed up?"
"I have no other clean clothes."
"Why don't you do laundry?"
"Laundry killed my parents...I am avenging their deaths..."
....Result: Awkward silence

Scenario 4:
"Hey, Gregg, why are you dressed up?"
"I'm not really, my body just rejects all shirts without buttons. Also, I'm kind of a big deal."
...Result: Awkward silence

There needs to be a transition to get from the conversation about the clothes back to regular conversation. I'm still working on one. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment