Thursday, February 5, 2009

2 Reasons I Don't Do 25 things...

A recent facebook chain-mail virus going around is the 25 things. You've probably seen it - the idea is you write 25 things about yourself, and then send it to 25 friends, in hopes that they will do the same. While on average 2.6 of them will follow instructions, the other 22.4 people will quickly scan the 25 things for mention of their name or some inside joke, and then discard the list. To date, I have been tagged in 4 "25 things" lists, and I stand pat with my 21.4 other compatriots in not making a list of things. Why? For starters, I don't think I could do it. I don't think there are 25 "interesting" things about me. I could do a "2 things" or maybe even a "6 things." But 25?!!? I would undoubtedly be stretching into useless things that no one needs to know ("#17: I had two crabs when I was young. They died.") The fact that that was typed and sent to 25 people does no one any good.

But another problem is inherent here. It forces you to rank your 25 best facebook friends. Imagine sitting in a group of 3 people, and you say "oh, that's like Cornelius' 25 things!" One of your friends says "oh yeah! That was hilarious!" Your other friend, however, now puts his head down, and mutters "oh...I didn't know Cornelius did one...guess I didn't make the cut...." We all know what happens now. Friend 2 goes home, facebooks Cornelius, and his 25 things list has suddenly become a "25 people Cornelius likes more than me" list. Welcome to Future News 10. This just in: Cornelius killed in his sleep. To me, something like this can only lead to drama amongst friends. The only people who should make these lists are people who have fewer than 26 facebook friends. Alternative solution: you should have to do one thing for every friend you have. Caution: do not be on the lookout for my list of "600 things"

No comments:

Post a Comment