Friday, February 6, 2009

Good Idea/Bad Idea

Good idea: Professors bringing food to class. My law skills professor and TA do this on a regular basis, and I approve. While it is likely they are trying to give us energy so we will talk in class and/or win back our approval for scheduling their class as our only Friday class, I do enjoy the pick me up. When I was student teaching, I would have liked to have done this more. Unfortunately the school frowned upon it, and I had 45 kids in a class, so it was difficult at time. When we did a Jeopardy-type game, my cooperating teacher did something cool. She would give them candy as a reward, but tell them "Now, I'm giving you PENCILS, right? If any parents or teachers ask you about this, you got PENCILS, right?" The kids liked it, and we never got in trouble.

Bad idea: Not having situational awareness. If you are one of the world's most recognized atheletes and you are at a house party in South Carolina, the thought that someone might have a camera while you are smoking pot should go through your head. Likewise, if you are an actor, you might want to realize that there might be a microphone around. Consider your image. The vast majority of Americans haven't seen American Psycho. Myabe some have seen The Prestige. But to most, you are not Christian Bale. You are Batman. The calm but powerful defender of Gotham. Live up to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment