Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Tell it like it is

I like things that are exactly what they claim to be. Corn flakes don't beat around the bush. You know what's up - you're getting flakes made with corn. You can find "Airplane," "The 40-year-old Virgin," and "Ferris Beuller's Day Off." in my favorite movies collection, and on my DVD rack. I don't have to ask what those movies are about. I'm not saying movies that have deceptive titles are bad, but let's just say "Swordfish" was not what I was expecting. And it's a good thing I don't have to try to eat ACTUAL lucky charms.

TV show titles are hit-or-miss the same way. Sometimes you know what you are getting, other times not so much. A sampling...

How I Met Your Mother: actually about Ted trying to meet the mother of his children
2 and a Half Men: NOT about 2 men and half of another man's body

The Amazing Race: It's a race. Contestants would probably describe it as amazing. (viewers though?...eeee.....)
Survivor: Spoiler alert! There is not only one survivor - all 16 of them live through the show.

Human Wrecking Balls: Two guys destroy buildings and stuff.
Attack of the Show: The show will not actually attack you.

Deal or No Deal: Best name ever. Lays out the critical decision.
Who wants to be a Millionaire?: Me. Does that mean I win? Where is my money?

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition: They make over homes. Got it.
House: The show would be much less interesting if it was just footage of a house.
Flip that House: Would be MORE interesting if they had to literally FLIP a house.

Saturday Night Live: It's live, and on Saturday night. Shananananana
MadTV: This just in - TVs do not have emotions, and are thus incapable of being "mad"

Prison Break (Seasons 1 and 3): Were about breaking out of prison
Prison Break (Seasons 2 and 4): About running from the law and not going back to prison. The appropriate title would be "Ok We Broke Out. Now What? Oh Crap Run!" I have a feeling that didn't test too well with the audiences.

The all-star of deceptive titles has got to be "Fringe," which is about strange science and biological weapons, and NOT, as I originally thought, about many thin strips of fabric hanging off the arms of a jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment