Sunday, March 15, 2009

Bluebook Madness?

Today, many college basketball teams across the country will have their bubbles burst when the brackets come out and they have not been chosen to compete. Something they have been looking forward to for months will be suddenly diminished. I had a similar bubble bursting feeling yesterday. First, some background knowledge. My seven favorite days of the year are as follows:

1. The first Thursday of the NCAA Tournament (16 games)
2. The first Friday of the NCAA Tournament (16 games)
3. Selection Sunday (ACC, Big 10 Championships + Brackets released)
4. Pre-Selection Saturday (Countless Conference Championships, Semifinals, and hours of bubble watch)
5. Sweet Sixteen Saturday (8 games)
6. Sweet Stixteen Sunday (8 games)
7. My Birthday

I live for the madness. I petitioned by undergraduate office of the registrar for permission to major in bracketology. I was sadly denied. I thrive on the competition, to have a better bracket than my peers, the ESPN experts, and most importantly, my calculator, who makes a bracket every year with a weighted random number generator. To make a long story short (too late), the T stands for brackeTs (not Tyrone).

Thus, you can imagine my bubble bursting when I found out that the bluebook exam was scheduled from Friday to Monday of said amazing weekend. Really? Really, bluebook exam committee? I really really really do not like this. What is wrong with the next weekend? I'll tell you what...NOTHING. To borrow an analogy, this whole situation is as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame, maybe from stepping on a land mine or something. I don't know if the exam has been scheduled on opening weekend in years passed, but I would love to see corellation between number of NCAA tournament games the weekend of the bluebook exam and average exam score. I imagine it would be about as negative as the pregnancy test I just took for fun. So thanks a lot, bluebook exam committee. I guess here's looking forward to June 12th...

*The analogy above was borrowed from a link Duarte just sent me. They have teachers submit the worst/strangest analogies and metaphors that their students write, and the "best" ones are published. It's pretty funny: http://chasingdaisy.com/2007/01/19/like-a-hefty-bag-filled-with-vegetable-soup/

No comments:

Post a Comment