Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Save the Whales...And Money

For tonight's money saving tip, I'll relate the story of my coffee maker. A few of you may have heard this one. I assure you all details are accurate.

Over the summer, while I was in Williamsburg, I received some "junk mail." In said mail was an ad for a subscription coffee service called Gevalia. Gevalia produces high quality gourmet coffee. They send 2 pounds of coffee to a subscriber every month in exchange for a monthly payment of roughly $33. The initial offer, however was for one pound of coffee plus a $99 coffee maker for 14.95. If for any reason you didn't like the coffee, you could cancel any future subscription and keep the coffee AND the coffee maker.

I decided this was a pretty sweet offer. I went online and placed an order. A couple weeks later, my coffee and coffee maker arrived safely. I picked up the phone, called Gevalia, and canceled my subscription. I figured I had just got a pound of good coffee and a sweet coffee maker for $14.95. But the story continues...

A month later I log onto my bank account website and find a $33 dollar charge from Gevalia. Confused, I call their customer service people. I tell a woman there that I have already cancelled my subscription and shouldn't be getting charged. She pulls up my account and says for some reason, the cancellation did not go through. She tells me the $33 charge will be refunded, so I won't have to pay that. Then, she tells me another shipment of coffee is in transit, but don't bother returning it.

Sure enough, the next day two more pounds of coffee arrive at my door, and I get a $33 credit to my account from Gevalia. Unfortunately for me, they got it right the second time.

The final count:
3 pounds of gourmet coffee
1 $99 coffee maker
Amount paid: $14.95

This has been a Tizzle Tip for the Economy

No comments:

Post a Comment