Monday, April 26, 2010

Cereal: The Search for an Angle

Every now and then I will have a thought for an interesting blog post. If I don't have the time to write it right then (I usually don't) I send an email to myself. The subject will be something like "Blog post idea" and then I'll jot down a few words or a couple sentences about the idea. I've had some solid ideas, and plenty of duds as well.

I was going through emails a week or two ago and came across one such email. The subject was "Blog idea" and the email read - "breakfast cereals...something about breakfast cereals. specific angle too be determined"

If you're thinking that is ridiculous, I am right there with you. I have no idea what I was thinking with this one. To be honest, I don't even remember where I was or what I was doing when I thought of it. Anyway, after laughing about it a healthy amount, I decided to try to see if I could make something come of this "idea." I was determined to find the right angle about cereal.

After a week, I had nothing. It's not like I've never touched the subject before. I did an in-depth piece on Captain Crunch, and mentioned the Trix rabbit in my recent post about ninjas. My feelings about Smart Start are no secret. But I was looking for something fresh and all-encompassing. I explained my predicament to and enlisted help from my good friend Liesl.

There was a moment today when I thought I had struck gold: Cereal mascots most likely to be serial killers. Unfortunately, when I sent it through the google machine, my fear was realized: it had already been done.

Liesl sent me her angle: What isn't good with cereal? Sort of a twist on everything is better with chocolate.
Incidentally, do you know what does not go well with chocolate? Cereal. I once poured myself a bowl of Cocoa Krispies, and added a regular serving of chocolate milk. If you've never had Cocoa Krispies, you pour in milk, and by the end, the leftover milk is chocolate milk, having absorbed chocolate off the cereal. I was just trying to be more efficient. What resulted was the most overpoweringly chocolate "thing" I have ever experienced. I still get sugar shudders just thinking about it.

Anyway, the perfect angle is still out there, and I will search on. If you have any ideas, feel free to drop a comment or shoot me an email.

Busy with finals, so don't know how much posting will happen, but best of luck to all my friends who are taking finals! And to soon-be W&M graduates! And really just best of luck to anyone in whatever endeavors you are undertaking!

No comments:

Post a Comment