Thursday, April 29, 2010

Kidney Stone? Aint No Thang.

The term "shout-out" does not give enough credit to the guy I write about today. It's with that in mind that I issue my first ever "Shout-out of all shout-outs" to Colorado Rockies catcher Miguel Olivo.

Olivo headed into the dugout after the top of the 8th inning on Monday's game. There were a few batters before he was up, but Olivo isn't one to just sit around and be unproductive. Olivo headed into the bathroom and passed a kidney stone. During a game. In the middle of an inning. When he emerged from the bathroom, the Rockies got their third out. So he threw on his pads, and went back out there for the 9th inning. In the bottom of the ninth, he went up to bat and hit a single.

I can think of no better recipient of this highest of high fives than Mr. Olivo. Passing a kidney stone is regarded as one of the most painful experiences known to man, but Olivo showed it who is boss. A lot of pro athletes play through pain, and man do I respect them for it. There are a lot of stories out there, and for me this ranks up there. So congratulations sir. Pulling off something like that requires more than just a kidney stone, and for that, I bestow upon you my Shout-out of all shout-outs.

No comments:

Post a Comment