Friday, March 5, 2010

TrashBerg Monster II?

The destruction of our planet has been underway for some time now. Readers - you know I'm not talking about global warming or carbon emissions or anything like that. No, we deal with a much more immediate and terrifying threat - the impending showdown for control of Earth between the TrashBerg Monster and the aliens.

For those unaware, there is a massive pile of garbage accumulating in the middle of the pacific ocean. It's known by some as the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, but I prefer to call it the TrashBerg. And by "massive" I mean it's 30 feet deep and twice the size of Texas. No joke. It's my belief that in the middle of the TrashBerg, there is a monster growing (apply named the TrashBerg Monster)

The fate of our planet will be decided as follows: The TrashBerg monster will emerge and wreck havoc on the globe, destroying all in it's path. The poetic justice of our race being taken down by a monster created from the very materials we discarded is too hard to ignore. Anyway, around this time, aliens will come down and invade, expecting a full resistance from the humans. Instead, they find the TrashBerg monster, and the Aliens and the TrashBerg Monster battle it out for global supremacy.

This is the basic plot of my in-progress screenplay, "Wasted Planet." Now I must say, in writing this, one of my biggest concerns has been the destructive power of the TrashBerg Monster. I mean, no matter how powerful he was, the idea of one monster taking out the human race AND the aliens...well lets just say I had trouble wrapping my head around it. There needed to be something else.

I must say, I never thought that "something else" would be ANOTHER TrashBerg Monster. That was, of course, until Carolyn sent me this deeply disturbing news:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/03/100302-new-ocean-trash-garbage-patch/

That's right. There is ANOTHER TRASHBERG. AND THIS ONE IS IN THE ATLANTIC OCEAN.

Now this one, which I'll call TrashBerg II, is clearly still in development - the garbage doesn't seem to be as densely packed as TrashBerg I. Measurements have put the garbage density of TrashBerg II at 520,000 bits per square mile, where as TrashBerg I boasts up to 1.9 million bits per square mile.

But the size of TrashBerg II is not to be ignored. While the east-west distance is unknown, it's north-south distance is roughly the distance from Virginia to Cuba. I'm gonna go ahead and table the issue of how it took someone so long to discover this, and address the real problem.

Students of history know it is extremely difficult to fight a war on two fronts. How could the United States expect to defeat 1 TrashBergs coming from each side? 1 solution seems obvious - call on other nations for help. But what happens when they are facing the same problem? Specifically, when a TrashBerg III shows up in the Indian Ocean, and TrashBerg IV surfaces in the Arctic Ocean...EVERYONE will be fighting a war on multiple fronts. It's trouble for sure.

At this point, I'm not sure there's much we can do. Things are escalating more quickly than I anticipated. Should any more alien or TrashBerg sightings pop up, I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment