Monday, March 15, 2010

Fast Food "Sandwiches"

I've been seeing a lot of commercials recently for the new breakfast sandwich from Dunkin Donuts. Well, I shouldn't really say "new." It's the back by popular demand waffle breakfast sandwich. If you ever wanted bacon, eggs, cheese, and waffles, and thought "man, why can't I just put this all together?" then this is the sandwich for you. I decided to try one recently. $2.99 and 500 calories later, I was pleasantly surprised, but in the end the Waffle sandwich couldn't break down my undying love for McGriddles (McDonald's sandwiches with pancakes for bread).







But there's something a little odd here. I looked into it, and McGriddles hit the market in 2003. The Waffle Breakfast Sandwich launched in early 2009 (the first time around). Can anyone explain this? When a huge chain like McDonald's came out with a PANCAKE breakfast sandwich, why did it take 6 years for another chain to decide making WAFFLE breakfast sandwich?

Usually these companies are all over this type of thing. If one guy has some big creation, a competing guy will either come up with the same thing (i.e. Vanilla Pepsi) or something similar. But Vanilla Pepsi was out within months, if not weeks, of Vanilla Coke. So shame on you, Dunkin Donuts. This product should have been out years ago.

On a related note, Dunkin Donuts claims their sandwich is back "by popular demand." I would be very interested to find out how many letters or emails they got demanding the return of the waffle breakfast sandwich.

But my biggest GIAFFC (Gripe Involving A Fast Food Chain) doesn't involve Dunkin Donuts. No, I'm talking about KFC and their "new" offer - the boneless fillet. I almost did not believe this was real when I saw it. It is literally a hunk of fried chicken - basically a chicken sandwich without the bun. For all those times when you really JUST want the chicken part of the chicken sandwich.

At first I thought "well this is dumb, but maybe understandable." I would always just get the sandwich, but maybe there are people out there who are watching carbs, and this would be better than ordering the chicken sandwich and not eating the bread. The line of logic seemed reasonable...until I saw the combo meal that it came with: potato wedges, a drink...AND A BISCUIT! What??? So you take the chicken OUT of the sandwich, and then serve it to me with a biscuit? Why, so I can do the work and make my own chicken sandwich? C'mon KFC. You were already on notice after that extremely questionable commercial. You don't wanna fall too much further...

No comments:

Post a Comment