Friday, May 28, 2010

Surprise Nutrients

I never understood why they put nutrition facts on bottles of water. They just tell you that the water you are drinking is just that...water. 0 calories, 0 fat, 0 sodium, 0 carbs, and 0 protein. I always figured it was just some legal requirement.

You can imagine by surprise when I glanced at the nutrition facts of my bottle of "Pure American" water today and saw a number other than 0 below the solid black line. That's right. My bottle of water provides me with 4% of my daily value of calcium.

At first I was just straight-up surprised. I was just not expecting anything in my water. But I must say I'm totally on board. I think more food and drinks should have surprise nutrients.
You thought you were just getting a bagel? Boom! 10% Riboflavin!
This brownie is great, are these walnuts? Yup...and an extra 6% Magnesium!
This coffee tastes like iron. Maybe the beans were burnt...or maybe its the extra 300% Iron!

Win win win. Caroline was quick to point out that you could just buy your vitamins. Sensible? Perhaps. As much fun as surprise nutrients? Not a chance. When I open my restaurant, "Stick It To Me," not only will every dish be served on a stick, but dishes will have surprise nutrients. If variety is the spice of life, then surprise nutrients are the spice of health.

No comments:

Post a Comment