Sunday, May 16, 2010

CNN Headlines - The Struggle

When I'm browsing around the Internet, I often go to CNN.com, not only to find out what's going on in the world, but to scan for ridiculous headlines. Last year, it was an absolute gold mine. I could put together a whole post with 10 ridiculous CNN headlines on any given day.

Maybe there's been a change in focus against personal interest stories. Maybe there is just too much actual news these days. Either way, it's been a struggle as of late for me. CNN just hasn't delivered the ridiculousness that I'm used to. But after receiving my very own CNN headline ("William & Mary grads hit big on YouTube parody"), I really can't stay mad at them.

Earlier this month however, I got lucky. Within two days of each other, CNN.com posted what I consider to be two of the greatest headlines I have ever read:

"Bear stuck in tree, LIVE" (with a video link!)
The next day...
"Bobcat gets out, zoo opens anyway"

I can tell what you're thinking, and the answer is yes. I most certainly DID click on the video link. They had live coverage of a bear stuck in a tree. Unfortunately, I was a little too late, the bear had already been tranquilized and was on the ground being attended to.

After the bear headline, I didn't think it could get better, but the bobcat flat out blew me away. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it - greatest headline ever. Thank you, CNN. While the national relevance of your stories may be increasing your gem of ridiculousness keep me coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment