Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cutting Corners

I had what can only be described as a frustrating experience at Burger King today. After months of intense marketing for their $1 double cheeseburger, BK has done away with it - raising the price and instead offering a new sandwich, the "Buck Double" for a dollar. The Buck Double is a double cheeseburger minus one slice of cheese. If this all sounds familiar, it should. McDonalds did the same thing in February of '09.

Well apparently its ok to cut corners. Therefore, rather than present a new blog post about my current feelings for Burger King, I've copied and pasted my February 2009 post about McDonalds, and replaced the words "McDonald's" and "McDouble" with "Burger King" and "Buck Double," respectively. 2 other changed were made only once: "Ronald" was replaced with "The King," and you may notice Burger King is replaced by Wendy's. Congratulations, BK. The "edited repost" is as follows:

I discovered something disturbing this afternoon. I walked into Burger King looking forward to a double cheeseburger off the dollar menu. I was shocked to find it not on the dollar menu, but there was something called a "Buck Double." Figuring they might have just changed the name, I quickly scanned the rest of the menu for "double cheeseburger." There is was, under sandwiches...for $1.29!!!!! I was shockergasted (a combination of shocked and flabbergasted). So I asked the cashier what exactly a Buck Double was. She informed me it had two patties and one slice of cheese. Yes it appears the "Buck Double" is a double cheeseburger...minus one slice of cheese.

And so I reach another installment of "Whatever, I Do What I Want." This one goes out to you, Burger King. I hope that you can sleep at night knowing you are depriving millions of Americans their second slice of cheese. In a world of cutting corners, I never expected it to come to this. Well you know what, Burger King? Your plan BACKFIRED! By taking off that second piece of cheese, and altering the crucial cheese ratio, you allow the taste of your "beef" to shine through, unmasked by American goodness. And you know what, Burger King? Your "beef" just doesn't cut it for me. Asking customers to pay an extra 19 cents for a second slice of cheese on a double cheeseburger is vicious with a side of piracy. I really thought The King would never approve something like this.

Buck Double makes this sandwich sound much cooler than it actually is. Chamburger is more accurate. Cheeseburger + hamburger = chamburger. Well I hope you enjoy this marketing plan, Burger King, because the next time I find myself with a craving for a warmish, beef-like product, you can find me at Wendy's. This has been "Whatever, I Do What I Want: Burger King Edition."

No comments:

Post a Comment