Saturday, November 28, 2009

Unnecessary Store Employees

It's been a while. Sorry guys. Sadly outlining takes precedence over Blawegsome. Anyway, a couple things,

In continuance of my last post, I recently discovered yet another sweet google feature. If you go to googlegooglegooglegoogle.com, you get one window with 4 different search screens in them. This is pretty cool if you want a really quick way to have multiple pages open without going from window to window, and you dont want to resize all of them and put them in corners yourself. Being the nerd that I am, I naturally used one of the quarter-windows and went to googlegooglegooglegoogle.com to create even smaller windows. I imagine you could theoretically do this forever. Awesome.

I was recently told that when people meet my parents, they are "not what they expected." What this means is that I am the only constantly sarcastic and obnoxious one in the family. My dad tends to be somewhat quiet...around non-family people anyway. Put in the right situation and well, a different side shows. Example: the golf course. My dad uses profanity the way other artists work in oils or clay. The swearing generally comes out the most in two instances: 1) when he is attempting to use some technology, and 2) when he is golfing.

Yesterday on the golf course I went 18 with my brother and dad. On #5, Dad missed a short putt. I'll clean it up a little, but he said "Oh you a-whole...gosh darn it...fudge." As we walked to the next hole, I was with my brother, and my dad was out of earshot. I said "you know, I bet if they kept a tally of the number of times anyone had said those specific words in that specific order, Dad would be #1." He agreed.

At the tee on #6, Dad hit his drive into the right rough. Angry, he shouted "Oh you a-whole...gosh darn it....." and then there was silence. My brother and I exchanged a glance and stayed quiet, just waiting for it. Then, after about 7 seconds, "...fudge..." It was amazing. My dad has a world of swear words open to him, but for some reason this seems to subconsciously be his go-to "bad golf shot" swear.

Anyhow, this trip has opened my eyes to something else, which is the main topic of today's post: unnecessary store employees. I fully support companies creating jobs, but at the same time i really have to question them sometimes.

The Wal-Mart greeter. Theoretically, the idea of someone standing at the entrance of a store welcoming you is a great idea. Often times I go into a store looking for one specific thing, and it would be nice to be able to ask someone right when I walk in which way to head. All this is nice, like I said, theoretically. In practice, though, Wal-Mart greeters are hit or miss. On Tuesday I went into a wal-mart and there was no greeter. Honestly, I was a little surprised. Then I saw him though. This man had to be at least 80, standing sideways staring intently at a 4-year-old girl in one of the checkout lines. He did not move a muscle for at least the 10 seconds I saw him. And lets just say this is not the first weird, creepy wal-mart greeter I have encountered. The moral of the story is: good, friendly wal-mart greeters I can deal with. Creepy ones i can do without.

The Ukrops bag carrier. At Ukrops, when you purchase your groceries, they have people there to carry your bags out to your car. Again, this seems like a nice idea...theoretically. It would be nice to have someone be able to help you with your bags if you needed or wanted some help. But in reality, this is hardly an option. When someone demands that they take my groceries to my car, and they are much slower than me, it just creates an awkward situation. I don't want to walk slowly, I don't want to get my car and wait for you to get there. I don't want to make pleasant forced small talk. I just want to carry my own bags to my car. I think I should be able to do that if I want. Some Ukrops bag carriers disagree. Isn't it bad enough that you aren't open on Sundays, can't I at least get my groceries out the way I so choose?

I hope everyone had an excellent Thanksgiving, and safe travels back if you went away!

No comments:

Post a Comment