Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Snuggie Update

Today marks the 8-month anniversary of the day I became a PSO (Proud Snuggie Owner) It has served me well, and will hopefully continue to do so. Lightweight, yet keeps me warm. Holds up well after a machine washing. I have no complaints. But I've noticed an interesting trend recently. My Snuggie has become, for lack of a better term, "vintage."

I was at dinner on Monday when Mike asked if anyone owned a Snuggie. Always happy to represent, I said that I did. He asked if I had the leopard print one. No, I said, mine is blue. It's old school.

I imagine situations like this happen across the country almost every day. See, recently, Snuggies have been branching out with new products. Today there is the Microplush Snuggie, the latest in Snuggie technology. The regular Snuggie is no longer available in only 3 solid colors - but also in designer print, like leopard and zebra print. There are also Snuggies printed with the logos of colleges (although not all colleges. I received a letter from their marketing company thanking my for my letter requesting a University of Richmond Snuggie, but they were unable to make one.) They are even not just for humans anymore - with the Snuggie for Dogs growing in popularity. Most recent is the Weezer Snuggie - which comes with the band's name on the Snuggie, is twice the price but comes with Weezer's new CD.

It puts us long-time PSO's in an interesting position. On the one hand, I am definitely happy for the company. They deliver a good product, and they should continue to expand. I totally support it. On the other hand though, every new type of Snuggie is a type that I don't have. And the last thing that I want is to be looked down upon because I've been rockin' the Snuggie for many a fortnight.

I've considered upgrading to the Microplush recently. However, at the end of the day, I really don't have to. My vintage Snuggie is still awesome. So really, I guess the only thing to do is to be proud of my classic, keep spreading my message - that you can mock the infomercials all you want, but Snuggies are awesome and better than regular blankets. I recently gave my sister one for her birthday. My awesome legal research professor recently purchased one (which I like to think I have something to do with).

And in a great turn of events that really worked out for me, this happened: My brother and my mom work at the same company. My mom mentioned that her son has a Snuggie. Naturally everyone in the office thought she meant my brother, and bombarded him with questions about his Snuggie, which he had to deny over and over again.

It's been a warm and productive 8 months. Here's to the next being even more so. If you still don't have one, you don't know what you're missing. Don't hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment