Friday, February 26, 2010

WIDWIW: PowerBar

Tonight we issue yet another "Whatever, I Do What I Want!" Award.

Tonight's WIDWIW award goes to the producers of the latest PowerBar commercial. The commercial features Lamar Odom, who shows up at a local random gym. When someone asks him what he's doing, he says "Just eatin' new PowerBar Energy Blasts...before I go dunk on the moon." He pops in a PowerBar blast, grabs a ball, and then blasts upward with a rocket on his back.

Ok. I get it. Eat PowerBar and I can jump really high.

But here's where things go wrong. On his way up, Odom says "Get outta my way, Saturn!" He says this as he passes what is clearly Saturn - a planet with rings. After a mid-space refuel, he finally reaches the moon, which has a basketball hoop on it, that he dunks on.

There's obviously a lot of ridiculous fiction going on here that I can forgive. But one thing I just can't let slide on by. Really? He has to pass Saturn to get to the Moon? I had no idea Saturn was on the way. There wasn't any other space object that you could pick that might ACTUALLY be in the way, rather than choose a planet that is 142,316,000 kilometers OUT of the way. Was "outta my way, asteroid" or "outta my way, alien" too difficult for Lamar to say? I doubt it.

Maybe I am missing the point. Maybe everything about the commercial is so ridiculous that Saturn was intentionally chosen to add to the effect. I guess that would make sense. I really hope that's the case. If not, then congratulations, producers, for your own take on astronomy.

No comments:

Post a Comment