Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Quote of the Day, and Why, Law School, Why?

Today's Quote of The Day comes from Jenn and Sue

Sue: "You're more Asian than I am."
Jenn: "That's true...oh! Guess what I had for lunch?!?"
Sue: "Rice?"
Jenn: "No, cheese and crackers."

Want more? You got it! An unprecedented Quote of the Yesterday comes from Michael

Michael: "I break out to Nair"


I had a moment recently that best described the side of me that is frustrated by law school. In Criminal Procedure, we've been talking about when Fourth Amendment searches and seizures are appropriate. As it turns out, the standard is quite different for homes as opposed to cars. There's a slew of cases that establish the different standards to be used in each case.

It took a while, but I eventually was able to wrap my head around each. I finally had it all figured out. I then looked at my syllabus, opened my book to our next case, and read the following:

"We granted certiorari to decide whether law enforcement agents violated the Fourth Amendment when the conducted a warrantless search, based on probable cause, of a fully mobile "motor home" located in a public place."

Really? I get this distinction between homes and cars, and then you throw me a motor home?!?!?! Thanks. Thanks a lot. I was, however, greatly amused by the dissent's humor, who described the inquiry of whether the motor home was a house or a car as follows: "If the motor home was parked in the exact middle of the intersection between the general rule and the exception..." But after all this talk about parking and intersections, he concluded it should be treated more like a house. Nice one, Justice Stevens. Nailed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment