Sunday, February 21, 2010

Google Buzz and WWTD

It's been a while. My apologies for the delay, but I'll get right to it.

Google's latest feature has been causing quite the...what's the word...something like commotion, but shorter and catchier...not sure. Anyway, I'm talking about Buzz. Buzz is basically Facebook status without Facebook. Twitter without the character limit.

But the biggest plus for Buzz compared to these other two is it's convenience. It's right there in the same window as your Gmail, and you get a notification EVERY time someone posts something new, or someone comments on someone else's post. You can control really easily who your following, and it suggests people to follow.

Putting any privacy concerns aside (Google going through your contacts, etc.) I'm gonna go ahead and say I'm a fan. For the most part. And here's why.

1. Auto-post. As soon as I finish this entry, not only will it be uploaded onto Blawegsome, but it will also show up as a Buzz entry. This is pretty sweet. You can also set Buzz to upload your tweets. Ok...I'm alright with this. What I am NOT ok with is people setting it to upload their G-chat status. I can see your G-chat status. It's right there, like 2 inches below the Buzz link. If I don't need to go to a separate website to see it, having it show up on Buzz is worthless. C'mon people.

2. Picture and Link viewer. If your post has a link or a picture, it will show a mini version of the link or picture in your Buzz. This is nothing new - facebook status has been doing this for a while - but it is a 1-up on Twitter and is super convenient.

3. One-click-and-done. If your little buzz counter says Buzz(4) and you are tired of having to see it bolded, all you have to do is click it, and it will load up and then go back to zero. This is different from, say, Google Reader, where you have to scroll through posts to have them marked as "read." Noodles - please forgive me for saying something bad about Google Reader. Don't go all Spicy Noodles on me now...

4. It's optional. If you don't like it, disable it. It's that easy.

Overall, I'm a fan. It keeps me posted on the random thoughts of others - which is a nice break from my own welcome thoughts.


I'll leave you with this, my first edition of WWTD, or What Would Temple Do?
Here's the situation - you are coming down the stairs and see your friend sitting at the bottom on a phone conversation. If you are Temple - what do you do?

A) Walk by and pretend he does not exist

B) Walk by and wave, but don't say anything as to not interrupt the conversation.

C) Stop on the stairs so you are directly above him, and hock a loogie in fake preparation for a spit attack.

If you guessed C...you are correct! Don't get me wrong though - it was hilarious. I fully encourage hocking in a variety of situations. The fact that she didn't realize I was being interviewed made it so much better. You da man, Temple...well...sort of...

Next post will be sooner. I promise.

1 comment:

  1. Excuse me-the above mentioned "hocking" was also fake-not just the attack! If you're going to ask WWTD, make sure you get it right! ;-)

    Yay for my shout out but even more yay for all your press! ~t

    ReplyDelete