Sunday, December 6, 2009

Floppy Disks: Required?

Today I heard one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in a while. My good friend (and Blawegsome reader) Liesl is a 1L at FSU Law. We talked recently and exam policies came up. I mentioned Richmond's flex exam system and asked about theirs. She told me that instead of printing them out, students submit their exams electronically, but also have to save them onto a floppy disk.

I'm gonna say that one more time, not only for emphasis but just in case you thought I made a mistake. Instead of printing them out, students submit their exams electronically, but also have to save them onto a FLOPPY DISK.

Floppy disk!??!?? I hardly know her! Really, though, it has to have been a solid 7 years since I used a floppy disk. With pretty much all students having laptops, that means they all had to go out and buy floppy disk drives that plug into a USB port. Apparently, the employee she talked to at best buy was convinced she didn't know what she was talking about and surely needed something more modern. Typical...yet so understandable.

Let's get with the times, FSU. No one uses floppy disks anymore. Requiring students to use them makes them go buy the drives. And if there's one thing students like, it's not having to buy things. Liesl tells me you, the school provide the actual disks for the students. How about switching to flash drives, eh? Unless you've got some shady operation going where you are getting floppies shipped in for free, I'm thinking giving students flash drives would be comparably cheap for you, definitely cheaper for the students, and would accomplish THE SAME GOAL. Maybe I'm missing something, I don't know.

Floppy disks...ridiculous...

No comments:

Post a Comment