Monday, May 4, 2009

Cliches and the week that was

I despise cliches. Sometimes I go out of my way to avoid them or do the opposite. I don't pay it forward, I get money backwards. But there is one particular cliche that has me in a brutal showdown with the universe this week. "Trouble comes in threes." Allow me to explain.

On Monday, while enjoying a friendly game of basketball, I stepped into the lane to defend a drive. My nose was met with a large elbow (accidental) and began bleeding profusely. A precautionary trip to the doctor showed nothing too serious, but the game ended and a night of studying went by the wayside.

On Thursday, the day before my ConLaw final, I woke up and attempted to turn on my computer. It made an extremely loud and obnoxious beeping sound for about a minute, then took me to a blank screen. I rebooted and tried again, with the same result. I got on the phone and called HP. They said they could fix it, but I would have to send it in. I was left with my 5-year old, loud, slow, dinosaur of a "laptop" that cannot connect to the Internet. I had to go the Best Buy, buy something that could pull data off my hard drive, load that onto my external hard drive, load some of those files onto my old laptop, then take the old laptop to my carrel and try to install the new printer software on it. While I guess it all worked out, a solid 6 hours of the day were lost.

Trouble comes in threes, so there is one more bad thing coming (that's if you don't count my conlaw exam...eeeee....). The universe has been firing for sure. On Saturday, I narrowly escaped getting hit by a car while crossing the street. Some guy decided to peel out into the middle of the street while I was crossing. I did what I'm sure was an amusing run/hop to avoid him by about 6 inches. Avoided. I got an email today that some tax forms for a job didn't go through because of a "processing error" and I have to do them again. Not serious enough to be the third thing. You're gonna have to do better than that, big guy.

No doubt amused by all of this is my friend Kimi. During undergrad, good/lucky things happened to me a lot. More than they should have. Kimi was always flabbergasted at how I could be so lucky, and the jerk that I am I made sure to let her know every time something happened. So Kimi I am sure you are laughing now, and you know what that's alright. I would say "what goes around comes around," but that is a cliche, and so I am against it. I'll borrow a phrase from Rasheed: Ball don't lie.

That's all for now. Perhaps more to come later. Three finals this week, so no promises. Good luck to all my TC-Dub friends with law finals, and to all my WM friends with regular finals.

Universe: Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment