Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Youth in Revolt

My first shout out of the new year goes to Michael Cera. Cera's been on TV (Arrested Development), or in the movies (Juno, Superbad, Year One, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist)just to name a few roles. The rap on him all time is that he always plays the same character. He does it well, but it's always the same character. This kind of talk was especially prevalent after the release of Year One.

Well Cera stars is the soon-to-be released film, Youth in Revolt. He plays a character named Nick Twisp, who from the trailers I have seen could be very similar to Cera's other characters. But in the movie, Nick creates an alter-ego named Francois, who is more of a bad ass. Francois is ALSO played by Michael Cera, and the two are often on camera together.

And so my hat goes off to you, Mr. Cera. I can think of no better way to beat the "he can only play 1 character" reputation than to play 2 completely different characters AT THE SAME TIME. I'm hoping this movie is a good one, and I hope it helps Cera shake some criticism. Because really, why should we be criticizing him in the first place? Because he does something well? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment