Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Awesome TV Actresses

For a couple years now, the Top 3 of my Favorite-TV-Actresses List has been as follows:
1. Kristen Wiig
2. Cobie Smulders
3. Tina Fey

Smulders and Fey flip flop for 2 and 3 from time to time, while Wiig's lock on the number 1 spot is rock solid. Occasionally a dark horse will make a run at one of the top three spots. Sarah Chalke, Jenna Fischer, Olivia Wilde, Jennifer Carpenter, Lea Michelle, they've all made runs. Recently, 2 strong actresses have emerged to challenge the top 3

One of the latest has been rising steadily up the ranks for about a year now: Eliza Coupe. Coupe plays Dr. Denise Mahoney on Scrubs: Med School. She started during the 8th season of scrubs as an intern, and was made a series regular on the new series.



Coupe nails the character: blunt, opinionated, and just generally doesn't care about other people. She tells patients that their conditions suck and sleeps with fatties because they are try hard and are grateful. At least that's the hard shell, even better is her revealing the cracks that show she might actually have feelings without wrecking the image as a whole. Random moments when you can somehow connect with this bizarre character, that's where Coupe is awesome. And the character has really started to shine a lot more now that she's out of JD's shadow.

Coupe's delivery of her jokes is awesome. One of my favorites came from last week's episode: "you and me - we're going to have a stupid jar. Every time you say something stupid, we're gonna put a nickel in that jar, and when it get's nice and full, we're gonna beat you with it." I'm not sure I had seen her smile before last night's episode "our white coats"

Which brings me to my main point. While her character is awesome and I love her humor, Coupe had a bit of a ceiling in climbing high in my rankings because we never saw her without the scrubs on. We saw her out of the hospital/school once or twice, but she never really brought it. That was the case until last night. In a 1 minute span, We got 1) a rare smile, and 2) a shot of Coupe in a dress and with her hair done. To say she brought it would be an understatement. Coupe is rising fast, yet again. Here's hoping Scrubs: Med School doesn't get canceled. But more on that later.

My other oncomer is Jane Lynch, who has done a lot of movies but has recently been playing the role of Sue Sylvester on Glee. Sue is a cut-throat cheerleading coach whose program is threatened by the rise of New Directions, the school's glee club. She makes it her personal mission to bring down the club.



Lynch's portrayal of Sue leaves little to be desired. Her hatred of Will is evident even when she is pretending to be nice. Her Sue's Corner speeches and Dear Diary voice-overs never fail, and her comedic delivery is awesome. One of my favorites: "I will go to the animal shelter and buy you a kitty cat. I will let you fall in love with that kitty cat. Then, on some dark cold night, I will steal away into your home...and punch you in the face." Classic. Sue yells "inspiration" at her cheerleaders. Things like "You think this is hard? Try being waterboarded, THAT'S hard!"

I'd say Lynch is right on the verge, becuase I am just waiting for one thing: Why hasn't she sung on the show yet??? We know she can, she's sung before in the movies (my personal favorite was her singing Spanish textbook dialogues in The 40 Year Old Virgin) I cannot wait for it. Of course, apparently Glee doesn't come back til APRIL, so I'll just have to be patient. The top 3 is safe...for now at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment