Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Noisemakers of TCW

Perhaps ironically, the noisiest, most social place at the University of Richmond School of Law is actually supposed to be a "quiet area." Quiet please signs sit on the tables, and signs are posted on the walls. But the warnings seem to fall on deaf ears for the students. I speak of course of the corridor of tables in the law library between the main lobby-type area and the carrels.

Students learn quickly that if they want a quiet place to study that isn't their carrel, these tables are not the place to do that. People come out of class, perhaps head towards their carrels, see some friends, chat for a minute, then decide to stay and study for a while. And by study, I mean talk some more.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I think it's cool to be able to say hi to people at the tables. I don't think it's a place to be super loud, but I don't see hwy it has to be super-duper quiet either. But there is one thing that really does bothersome about the area. I guess it can't be avoided, but that doesn't mean it can't bother people.

When someone walks by, and you are at a table, it is virtually impossible not to look up and see who it is. As a result, your attention is taken off your books for a second, and add on 3 more seconds to figure out where you were. The time adds up. There is something about that hall. Not only are noises amplified, but everyone walking through there seems to exhibit at least one of the following:
-wearing heels
-wearing flip flops
-pockets full of change and keys
-chewing gum
-massive backpacks with keychains
-rollie backpacks (don't get me started...)
-cell phone talkers
-walking with their legs too close together so that their jeans rub together every step (seriously, you would be surprised how loud this can get)
And of course, Megan's personal pet peeve,
-the constant snifflers

We must not be near a stable, because I'm not gonna get up on my high horse about this. I am guilty of several of these things, most notably gum chewing and flip flop wearing. It really can be amusing to people watch and notice that, well, everyone does something. Even if you don't think you do, you do. To the person who can walk down that hall, when at least 10 people are at those tables, and not have 1 person look up at them, I will award 200 awesome points.

Workee workee busy busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment