Monday, August 31, 2009

Looking Young and Dancing

When you look like I do, getting weird looks at a bar is no rare occurrence. I find the looks generally fall into one of two categories. The first is fairly obvious and by far the most common - the "there is NO WAY that kid is 21" look. This comes in various forms. With slight variations in their expressions, I can actually differentiate the thoughts running through their heads. Other popular ones include:
-"I wonder where he got his fake ID"
-"What's wrong with that bouncer"
-"Nice job, kid"

Being judged for looking young is no new thing for me. I have been pulled over multiple times for looking too young to drive. At one such occurrence, when I was 16, the officer told me I "didn't look a day over 9." I have been to a total of 2 r-rated movies without getting carded, both of which happened in the last 6 months. Once, at the age of 18, I was carded for a PG-13 movie. I'm not sure they are even supposed/allowed to do that (incidentally, what ID do 13-year-olds have?

The second glare/look I get in bars is not about my age, but rather about my dancing. I don't have a lot of rhythm or dancing skills per se. I don't dance to pick up girls, or to show off sweet moves. I just do it to have fun. I am well aware that most of the time I look pretty stupid. And I'm alright with that. What really amuses me is other people.

Here's how it usually goes down. I see someone watching me. They smirk, then turn to their two or three friends who they are standing around with, who then immediately look at me. Real slick, guys. Then one of them, usually the first one, starts imitating me. Most of the time it's a mediocre impression, and usually over-exaggerated. Sometimes they do it pretty well. If they can get the arms down, they do it well. I really hope these people aren't trying to be slick and not have me see that they are making fun of me, usually it's fairly obvious.

But here's the funny part. Without a doubt, the majority of people I catch smirking and making fun of me are groups of two or three guys, standing by themselves against the wall near the dance floor. This is one reason why I really don't have a problem with it (the other being that I will never see these people again). I'm out there having an awesome time with my friends, and you, creepy guy standing against the wall watching people dance, are gonna make fun of me? Go right ahead. Sometimes I contemplate going up to some of these people and saying something. I think the best line I've crafted in my head is "I saw you copying my moves out there. It was pretty close, just don't move your arms quite so much. You can work on it tonight when you go home by yourself." But really, there's no reason to be mean. These guys have done nothing to me, so I'll let them be, and keep rockin out the only way I know how.

Sidenote: The best impression I've seen of my dancing is done by Mr. Braswell. He gets the face, the arms, and the feet pretty much spot on. Kudos to you, sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment