Friday, July 3, 2009

Car headlights and a salute to birds

Almost every night I drive I see a car with 1 headlight out. Ive been told its illegal because people will think you are a motorcycle. I don't buy it. If you hit a car because you thought it was a motorcycle, you just shouldn't be driving, regardless of the current functionality of your headlights.

But the real question is this: how is it that one headlight always burns out first, and the other one lasts long enough for you to get the other one fixed days/weeks later. The lights receive the same amount of current, and you never have one headlight on but not the other. When the car is first manufactured, it starts with two brand new headlights. So why don't they ever burn out at the same time? Do the headlight manufacturers purposely make them all different? Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. As a current 1-headlight driver, I am very glad that they do not blow out at the same time, otherwise I would probably be posting from the hospital after keeping a traffic light pole warm by wrapping it with the Tizzlemobile. So whatever you're doing, headlight manufacturers, keep it up.

Moment of the day: I'm walking on a golf course with my dad. All of a sudden a big flock of birds flew overhead. I hear "God damn it!" from behind me. That's right - a bird took a crap on my dad's head. Good thing he was wearing a hat. I was not, but I guess I got lucky. I'd like to keep that luck going. So thanks birds. You guys are awesome. No other creatures have the amazing ability to fly but choose to be all humble and eat from the trash. Sure, you sometimes make loud noises for no apparent reason or purpose, but hey, who am I to judge? I do the same thing. So here's to you birds. Keep being awesome, and please keep crapping on my friends and family but not on me. Toucan do it.

2 comments:

  1. This has come up in a class that I've taken recently. Even if two headlights are manufactured in the exact same way we still expect them to have different lifetimes, especially since it is basically impossible to create an exact replica down to the atomic level.
    Companies do tests to measure the typical length of life each item will have, but that does not mean that each item will last at least that long, we still expect some in the population to fail earlier (and some to fail later). Also the two headlights are subject to different environmental stimuli (even if they are in the same car)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting post.. I like how you have presented the information in full detail. Keep up the great work and please stop by my headlights site sometime. Keep it up..

    ReplyDelete