Thursday, June 11, 2009

Mantracker

I recently discovered a new awesome show. Thanks go out to Amelia's colleagues for the info. The show is called Mantracker, and airs on the Science Channel. Here's the premise: Two people are taken out to the wilderness and given a map and compass. They have to get to an endpoint, usually at least 20 miles away. They are tracked by "Mantracker" and a guide who knows the terrain. Mantracker and the guide are both on horses, the prey are on foot. Mantracker doesn't know the endpoint, and the prey get a 2km head start. If the Mantracker catches them, they lose. If he doesn't the prey wins. There is no prize, only satisfaction.

The show is packed with action from start to finish. There is never a moment where you can say "ok, they're safe. I'm gonna go get a sandwich" On the episode last night, the guys tried to set some false tracks to fool the tracker. He was onto their plan though, and had them in eyesight within 15 minutes. Of course, he doesn't just have to spot them, he has to CATCH them. Honestly, I don't yet know what that entails, seeing as the prey won last night. I have grand visions of a lasso or a blow dart, or even a paintball gun. That would be awesome.

The music in the show is excellent. You know how most shows have dramatic music leading up to a commercial break? Well Mantracker has dramatic music ALL THE TIME, because it's ALWAYS dramatic. It really is fantastic.

Watching the show, I was most taken not by the skill of the prey, or the tracker, but by the cameramen. The camerawork is incredible. So many shots from so many angles. And I feel like if I was the prey, trying to hide my tracks and not make footprints, it would frustrate me to have a camera team along for the ride. After a little research, I just discovered that they go back and re-shoot some shots for dramatic effect, and that sometimes they send out fake camera crews and prey. They also make the tracker explain his reasoning to try to get him to just avoid tracking cameramen. A little disappointing, but still give the camera guys a lot of props.

If you haven't seen it, you should check it out. Wednesday nights. Its summer. There is nothing good on TV. You have no excuse.

2 comments:

  1. Fake or not?? I DON"T CARE!!! Just love it! Lot's of fun, no big, wanky prize or vote out by everyone rubbish. Some win, some lose. The whole family like it...and there aren't many shows that we can say that about!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. loooove Mantracker.. My BF and I are thinking about doing it..

    ReplyDelete